Born to the Sicilian nobility, the son of Marquis Luigi Dusmet. Educated at the abbey of San Martino delle Scales when he was five years old. Benedictine monk, making his formal vows on 13 August 1840 at the abbey of Monte Cassino. Teacher of philosophy and theology in Benedictine houses. Priest. Prior of the monastery of San Severino, Naples on 12 June 1850. Prior of the monastery of San Flavio, Caltanissetta, Sicily in 1852. Abbot of the monastery of San Nicolo l’Arena, Catania, Sicily in 1858. The monastery was later confiscated by the state soon after the founding of the kingdom of Italy. Archbishop of Catania, Sicily on 22 February 1867. Cardinal-priest of San Pudenziana on 11 February 1889.
- 4 April 1894 at Catania, Sicily of natural causes
- buried in the chapel of the Confraternity dei Bianchi
- relics translated to the metropolitan cathedral of Catania in May 1904
- if you have information relevant to the canonization of Blessed Giuseppe, contact
Via Vittorio Emanuele, 163
95131 Catania, ITALY
- “Blessed Giuseppe Benedetto Dusmet“. CatholicSaints.Info. 22 June 2013. Web. 1 April 2015. <>