Son of a poor widow. Had a special devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, to Saint John the Baptist, and to Saint Cecilia11. Teacher in his home town. Priest. Vicar of his native Hallum. Premonstratensian monk. Founded the monastery of Mariengarten, Netherlands. Simultaneously abbot of Mariengarten, Groingen, and Dockum.
- 3 March 1175 in Frisia (modern Netherlands) of natural causes
- so many miracles were reported at his grave that it became a pilgrimage site
- relics transferred to the abbey church in Bonne-Espereance in 1616 due to Calvinist rule in Frisia; they were in the habit of destroying relics
- relics transferred to Vellereille during the French Revolution to prevent their destruction
- relics transferred to Leffe, Dinant, Belgium in 1938
- “Blessed Frederick of Hallum“. CatholicSaints.Info. 2 March 2010. Web. 23 May 2015. <>