- The Second Dominic
Priest. Worked with the Cistercians. Noted preacher. Fought Albigensianism. Worked with Saint Dominic de Guzman, and became his close friend and travelling companion. Joined the Dominicans in 1216 and helped them survive and thrive in their early years. Governed the first Dominican foundation in Paris, France, and helped establish their tradition of scholarship. Dominican provincial of Provence. Miracle worker. Died during the preaching of a mission to the Cistercian sisters of Saint Mary of the Woods.
- 1230 at Garrigue, diocese of Nîmes, France of natural causes
- buried in the cemetery of the Cistercian sisters of Saint Mary of the Woods
- his grave became a place of pilgrimage and site of miracles
- when there began to be large numbers of pilgrims, his relics were translated to nearby church
- relics destroyed by Protestants during the religious wars
- “Blessed Bertrand of Garrigue“. CatholicSaints.Info. 5 September 2016. Web. 26 September 2016. <>