- Sister Apolonia of the Blessed Sacrament
One of eleven children in a pious family. Joined the Carmelite Sisters of Charity on 16 July 1886. Studied at the college in Madrid, Spain. Taught at the college of Trujillo. Superior of the community of Villafranca de los Barros, Badajoz, and in Seville, Spain. Elected Superior-General of her Order in 1923; she served for 13 years during which the Order founded 20 new communities, and Apolonia worked for the beatification of their founder, Saint Joaquina Vedruna Vidal de Mas. Martyred in the Spanish Civil War.
- 8 September 1936 in Barcelona, Spain
- her body was dismembered and thrown to pigs
- recovered relics interred in the crypt of the parish of Santa Inés
- “Blessed Apolonia Lizárraga Ochoa de Zabalegui“. CatholicSaints.Info. 29 August 2015. Web. 28 February 2017. <>