In the Last Supper of Leonardo they occur in the following order, beginning from the left hand: Bartholomew, James the Less, Andrew, Peter, Judas, John, Thomas, James the Elder, Philip, Matthew, Jude and Simon. Thaddeus is identified with Jude.
Their usual attributes are –
- Peter, the keys or a fish.
- Philip, staff surmounted by cross.
- Andrew, X-shaped cross.
- James the Elder, the pilgrim’s staff.
- Bartholomew, large knife.
- John, chalice with serpent.
- Thaddeus, halbert or lance.
- Thomas, builder’s rule.
- James the Less, a club.
- Matthias, a lance.
- Matthew, a purse.
Paul is not infrequently inserted in groups of the apostles, his emblem being the sword.
The legends of each of the apostles will be found under their names.
- Allen Banks Hinds, M.A. “The Twelve Apostles”. , 1900. CatholicSaints.Info. 16 April 2017. Web. 29 April 2017. <>